Former Hawks go pro

Turnover from year to year is always an issue for university varsity sports teams, and the 2009-10 roster of the Laurier men’s hockey team is no exception. The team has lost a number of talented players over the past few years and many of them have gone on to play on a professional level.

Matt Maccarone (AHL)

The player that has by far garnered the majority of attention is forward Matt Maccarone who got a try-out with the New York Rangers this season. After dressing in the “Broadway blue-shirts’’ opening pre-season game against the Boston Bruins on Sept. 15, Maccarone was assigned to the Rangers’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate in Hartford.

Mark Voakes (ECHL)

Voakes played five seasons with the Hawks before moving on this year to the East Coast Hockey League’s (ECHL) Cinncinati Cyclones. Last year, Voakes was second on the team in scoring with 50 points; he was also named the OUA’s most valuable player.

His offensive ability will make him as dangerous as any player in the ECHL, the league just two steps below the NHL.

Luke Girard and Tyler Townsend (Europe)

Former Hawk power-forward Luke Girard joined Herentalse of the Belgian Hockey League over the summer, while smooth puck-moving defenseman Tyler Townsend joins currently plays for Freiburg EHC of the German 2 Bundesliga, just below their top league.

Adam Maccarone (CHL)

Matt’s younger brother, Adam played for the purple and gold for two years as a dependable defenseman before joining the Tulsa Oilers in the third tier Central Hockey League (CHL).