Androgny: the look of the day

(Photo by Heather Davidson)
(Photo by Heather Davidson)

Incorporating menswear into an outfit can be a bit of a daunting task but if it’s done right, it can pull your entire outfit together. It’s a refreshing trend in women’s fashion and an alternative to an easy-going, laidback look.

How can you wear men’s clothes appropriately? There are many different ways.

Let’s face it, bad hair days are a re-occurring problem and sometimes, us women just don’t have the time or patience to deal with it.  Instead of throwing on your beanie, get your hands on a 5-panel camp hat or any baseball cap you have laying around the house.  It will be your saving grace for those atrocious 8 a.m. classes.

How about that awkwardly baggy flannel shirt you have just hanging in the back of your closet? A stress-free way to integrate an over-sized shirt is to tie it around your waist. This ‘90s trend is making its way back into street style and runways, all you have to do is find a worn-in fabric shirt and tie it so it drapes around your body.  Sounds easy enough, right?

Keep in mind that adding a masculine piece does not have to take away from the femininity of your outfit.  There are many ways to avoid this style rut. One of my current favourite go-to styles is to add a baggy sweater over a skirt.  Whether the skirt is tight or has a flared silhouette, couple it with a knit or lightweight fleece crewneck sweatshirt.  With a combo like this, it’s also easy to add some chunky jewelry to dress it up a little and avoid looking too masculine or dull.

The comeback of boyfriend jeans has brought a new light to how our generation of ladies wears pants. Sure, a pair of tight jeans helps to enhance our behinds but by the end of the day, we are desperate to throw on a pair of sweats.  We no longer have to feel guilty about wearing sweats to class because joggers have been tweaked with this style of jean.  You can find an array of these elasticated waistband and cuffed pants in all sorts of prints like camouflage, floral and even leather.

Another trend coming back into street style is the men’s sneaker.  The advantage with sneakers is that they go with just about everything: skirts, leggings and even jeans.  Whether it’s your favourite pair of Converse or those Nike Roshe Runs you wear to the gym, include them in your everyday ensembles for an effortless look and maximal comfort.

Mixing and matching is an easy way to experiment with menswear.  Over-sized pieces allow for layering so don’t be afraid to try out different combinations of prints and textures.  Camouflage, leather, denim and knits are some fall favorites that can add a masculine tone to any outfit but an overload of different textiles can leave you looking like a walking quilt. One more thing to be aware of when incorporating men’s clothes into your outfit is the fit of baggy clothing.

Do your best to gauge the right amount of looseness in order to avoid a sloppy, shapeless appearance.