2021 FISU Winter Universaide postponed

In what will come as disappointing news to Laurier’s undefeated men’s curling team, the 2021 FISU winter games which were set to be held in January have officially been postponed. Matt Wilkinson and his curling team, the OUA male team of the year were set to represent Canada at the 2021 FISU Winter Universiade following their USPORTS National Championship win in March. 

On Aug. 31. USPORTS announced their statement of support towards the decision to postpone the 2021 FISU Winter Universaide due to the ongoing pandemic. The event was scheduled to be held in Lucerne. Switzerland from Jan. 21 to 23, 2021. 

Importantly, FISU has postponed the event, rather than cancelling the games. While no new date has been released, the Golden Hawk’s men’s curling team will wait, knowing that they will get their shot to represent the country whenever the time is right. 

Laurier’s men’s curling team had an exceptional season, winning both the OUA championship, before winning the USPORTS National Championship in what was a remarkable run in the early months of 2020. After an astonishing playoff run capped off by an 8-5 win at the USPORTS National Championships, the team was incredibly excited to be representing Canada in Switzerland. 

Skip, Matt Hall, vice, John Willsey, second, Jordie Lyon-Hatcher and lead, Graham Singer, along with coach Matt Wilkinson were thrilled with the opportunity of travelling internationally and representing both the Golden Hawks and the country of Canada. 

“It’s nothing but pride. Having that experience last year, it was amazing, I’m excited to do it again. I can’t be happier to get the chance to wear that maple leaf on my back again and the chance for the other guys to experience that as well,” Skip Matt Hall said of the opportunity. 

FISU and U Sports will be working together to monitor and evaluate limitations to international travel and competition as they decide on the status of the event.