Laurier alumnus Larry Uteck inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame

Over the summer the Canadian Football Hall of Fame announced Laurier alumnus, Larry Uteck would be inducted into the builder’s category as a member of the 2020 Hall of Fame class. 

The CFL Hall of Fame and Museum announced their 2020 Class on July 16th, 2020 with a notable Laurier alumnus being inducted, Larry Uteck, who was recognized as a builder.  being inducted, Larry Uteck, who was recognized as a builder. 

Uteck is a legend to Canadian football and Canadian university football, with over three decades of experience as player, coach and athletic director. He has left a significant mark on the CIS/USPORTS football landscape, as he has won several Vanier cups and developed a number of young Canadian football players. 

Young coaches and players can aspire that if you have a passion for sports you can be in it for a long time in this country. Not only was he a head coach but an athletic director,” Current Laurier men’s football coach, Michael Faulds said about the impact Uteck has had.

Uteck played defence for the University of Colorado from 1970 to 1973 before playing as a member of the Golden Hawks 1973 team. The year he joined the Hawks, the team became Ontario University Athletics champions, and he was also named as an OUA First Team All-Star. 

After concluding his time with Laurier, Uteck spent seven years playing in the Canadian football league (CFL) for the Toronto Argonauts, the Montreal Alouettes and British Columbia Lions, to name a few, after being selected as an All-Star defensive back. 

After his seven years in the CFL, Uteck ended his playing career to become a coach. 

As a coach and mentoring figure, Uteck made his biggest contributions. He began coaching in 1982 as an assistant coach for Saint Mary’s University Huskies in Halifax. The next year he became head coach to the Huskies and remained there until 1997, guiding the team to seven Atlantic Universities Athletic Association championships. 

Although Uteck passed away in 2002, his presence is still felt within Canadian university football. One of the national semi-final games for the Vanier cup is called the Uteck bowl after Larry Uteck, being renamed from the Atlantic Bowl in 2003. 

Coach Faulds spoke on the significance of the Uteck bowl and what that type of recognition means towards the Golden Hawk program. 

“The path to the Vanier Cup includes the Uteck bowl. That just shows the type of figure he is in Canadian University Football and we are super proud that he is one of our alums.” 

In addition to his football success, Larry Uteck was also named to the Order of Canada in 2002. Uteck is the first former Golden Hawk football player to be inducted into the builder category of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.