2009 MLB Play off Breakdown

New York Yankees Vs. Minnesota Twins

Arguably carrying the most momentum coming in the playoffs, the Yankees are hoping to capture the 27th title for the franchise.

Their first round match up against Minnesota will not last long, as the over matched Twins will have a hard time competing with New York’s pitching and offensive capabilities.

Minnesota provided us with some great baseball as they ousted the Detroit Tigers in a thrilling one game playoff to earn their spot in this match up, but unfortunately for the Twins, it’s time for reality to set back in and that means a first round exit.

Boston Red Sox Vs. Los Angeles Angels

This series could come down to the final game and is possibly the most compelling first round match up.

These teams met nine times during the regular season, and six of those contests were decided by one run. The Red Sox have been dominant in the last five years, but this season’s edition of the team is not as strong as years past.

Similarly, the Angels are a perennial playoff contender but have little to show for it. Look for that to change this year as L.A. takes this series in five games.

Colorado Rockies Vs. Philadelphia Phillies

The Phillies enter this series with home field advantage, and strangely enough that could prove to work against them.

This season they held a record of 45-36 at home and 48-33 on the road. On the other hand, the Rockies are owners of the best home record in the National League.

This match up could come down to pitching, in which case the Rockies have the advantage with one of the best staffs in the League.

St. Louis Cardinals Vs. LA Dodgers

This matchup is the toughest to predict. The Cardinals have the best hitter on the planet in Albert Pujols, and two of the top three candidates for the NL Cy Young Award in Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright.

The Dodgers, meanwhile, are led by one of the best mangers in the league in Joe Torre, as well as potent offensive threat Manny Ramirez and a solid pitching staff. This series could easily go to five games and provide the most entertaining baseball of the first round.

Give the edge to the Cardinals because of their home field advantage and the batting power of Pujols and veteran slugger Matt Holiday.