Your guide to the local arts scene

The Princess Twin Cinema on King Street in Uptown Waterloo. (File photo by Megan Cherniak).
Maxwell’s Music House, located across the street from WLU. (File photo by Nick Lachance).
The Museum in Downtown Kitchener. (File photo by Stephanie Truong).

Starlight

Starlight is a social club located in Uptown Waterloo that, in addition to hosting regular bar nights, is also one of the best concert venues Uptown Waterloo has to offer. Starlight has attracted big name artists like Dragonette, who have called it one of their favourite venues in the world. Starlight’s fall lineup is nothing short of impressive and includes the likes of Wintersleep, Elliot Brood and Hey Ocean.

–Emily Frost

Maxwell’s Music House

Maxwell’s music house is a licensed lounge located right across the street from the Laurier campus that caters to both musicians and music lovers. Founded by Laurier graduate Paul Maxwell, Maxwell’s features live performances by local and smaller bands almost nightly. For those looking to expand their musical skills or put them to use, Maxwell’s offers a jam space that can be booked by the hour as well as lessons on a wide variety of musical instruments. Looking to showcase your own talents? Every Tuesday night is open-mic night.

–Emily Frost

WLU campus

Though Laurier is not typically known as a fine arts school, there are plenty of options for arts lovers right here on campus. The Robert Langen Gallery, located in the Aird Building, hosts varied exhibits done by local and student artists, while the same building’s Maureen Forrester Recital Hall and Theatre Auditorium play host to events such as the Fr!nge Festival, Laurier Musical Theatre (LMT), Fashion ‘N Motion and frequent performances put on by Laurier’s faculty of music.

–Justin Fauteux

Princess Cinemas

Conveniently located in Uptown Waterloo, Princess Cinema and its sister-venue the Princess Twin feature a variety of indie and smaller films as well as older classic’s that you won’t find in bigger theatres. The old-cinema feel makes the Princess a very authentic experience. Visit the Princess Café, conveniently located next door, to grab a bite before taking in your movie of choice. For just $19.95, you can get a Ppanini with a side soup or salad, coffee or tea, dessert and admission. Students take note — cheaper tickets can also be purchased at the U-Desk on campus.

–Emily Frost

The Museum

The Museum brings some of the most unique and renowned cultural exhibits to the Kitchener-Waterloo region. Located just down King Street in Downtown Kitchener, The Museum features multiple permanent exhibits that include pin walls, nail beds and “the urban streetscape project” which aims to showcase iconic features of the K-W. They also regularly bring in popular visiting exhibits, which in the past have included Andy Warhol and Yoko Ono features. This fall The Museum will host James Cameron’s Avatar exhibit, giving fans the opportunity to check out props, costumes, and production drawings from the Oscar winning film. The Museum is easy to get to on the No. 7 bus and is a great place to kill a rainy day.

–Emily Frost