Women’s basketball drop season opener to McMaster 

In a competitive home opener, the Laurier Golden Hawks women’s basketball team demonstrated their resilience against the McMaster Marauders. The game included a mix of highs and lows, with both teams displaying maximum effort.  

The first quarter served as an exciting start to the Golden Hawks season. The women battled to take an early lead and maintained it until the end of the first frame. Both Cassidy Hirtle and Miranda Campbell assisted the team in the early lead, earning seven points each. 

During the second quarter, McMaster came out strong and was able to take the lead, with the help of fouls and a few remarkable three-pointers. However, Laurier responded strongly and managed to tie the game at 32.  

By the end of the second quarter, McMaster held a modest lead of 45-37, setting the stage for Laurier’s comeback attempt in the third quarter. Despite facing challenges from McMaster’s defense, the Golden Hawks were able to capitalize on their offensive opportunities and reduce the deficit 56-61.  

With 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter, McMaster led 71-66. Marauder’s Jenna Button scored another three-pointer, taking McMaster to 74 points. Just after, Campbell added two points late in the game. Adding to the intensity on the court, Laurier called a timeout with 2 minutes remaining. The final score remained 80-75 in favor of the McMaster Marauders. 

While the Golden Hawks fell just short of victory, their determination and focus earned them recognition in their first game of the season. The remainder of the season is bright for the team as they strive for upcoming success on the court and look to further establish themselves in the competitive OUA.