Wisdom disconnect: Oct. 7, 2009

Holy moly: Mole Day, commemorating the chemistry mole, 6.02×1023, is celebrated on Oct. 23 from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m. This year the theme for Mole Day is “The Molar Express”. Past Mole Day themes included “Celebrate the Molennium”, “Pi a la Mole”, and “Mole Madness”.

Tutti Frutti: Fruitarianism is an extreme type of vegetarian diet. Although there are many types of fruitarians, the most intense only eat fruit that has already fallen from its tree in order to avoid killing of all kinds, including the killing of plants.

Two heads are better than one: Female gray nurse sharks have two uteruses. When pregnant, the sharks have about eight eggs in each uterus; however, generally only two sharks are born. This is because the eggs hatch within the uteruses and the pups eat each other. This is known as intrauterine cannibalism.

Erika La Tour Eiffel: Objectum sexuality is a sexual desire of inanimate objects. Just as some people are sexually attracted to men or women, others are sexually attracted to the Berlin Wall or a particular soccer ball. One woman has even married the Eiffel Tower.

Lots in common: DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) is the main constituent of chromosomes and contributes to the make-up of living things. Humans share 60 per cent of their DNA with fruit flies and 50 per cent with bananas.

A wise person once said: “Tut, tut, child! Everything’s got a moral, if only you can find it.” –The Duchess from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland.