Why we pop the bubble

Growing up, I was always accustomed to the same social pattern. Whether I moved to a new school, a new camp or a new place, I always found myself trapped in a bubble.

Everyone I know has grown up together for 18 years — trapped in the walls of the bubble, unable to escape.

Living in my community, I have become a witness to watching people lose their individual identity only to fall victim to the social pressures to fit in and feel “accepted.”

No matter where I go, I see this pattern occur over and over again. This desperation for acceptance frustrates me.

In actuality, what guidelines determine whether someone is accepted or not?

Is it the latest materialistic trend that makes someone feel fulfilled?

Is it how many likes someone gets on their Instagram?

Why do people feel the constant need to experience this social comfort, when they are restricting themselves from interacting with their external environment?

It’s all because of the bubble: a safe place, but not a safe haven. People rely on this bubble to feel social acceptance from their peers — to be surrounded by influential figures in their life for years onward.

As young adults, our society is constantly faced with toxic social pressures of who to be.

No matter if you are 19 or 40-years old, society is constantly going to hit you with these curve balls to follow this trend, buy this product or be friends with this type of person.

How can people shy away from these pressures and truly identify with what makes them feel unique?

It is important to be able to separate yourself from the surrounded air-tight pressure of this bubble in order to cultivate your own individualized identity.

Otherwise you lose the fight to be your true self.

For years this lust to foster my creative void was suppressed by my peers and my environment. Everyone behaved in a way in which society told them to.

I fell victim to this solicited practice as I cashed out on the latest trend or tried to climb the ladder of popularity.

But at the end of the day I was never fulfilled, nor were my peers.

Today, almost every single person I grew up with transported this bubble to university. Joining the same clubs, being friends with the same people, living their life the same way. In turn becoming a carbon copy of one another.

Together they stick, growing older in age, but not wiser with maturity.

I am a witness to the broken bubble — and I promise, for once something broken is an amazing sight.

Being able to identify as one of the 17,000 individuals who make up this student body is an incredibly interesting concept to be a part of.

All students come from different communities, religions and cultural backgrounds.

As one of the pieces of this interconnected puzzle of diversity, I have been able to develop myself and truly identify my needs and my interests.

I am not saying to forget everything you learned from the people you surrounded yourself with growing up.

Sure, embrace your cultural values, delve into your religion, love the people you are with.

But also be curious about the external experiences you could be living by encountering new cultures, different religions and even meeting unique people.

It’s time everyone lifts their heads and embraces what’s around them.

Otherwise we will regress and never truly settle into our own selves. To honestly feel the ability to identify “this is me, and I am proud of who I am.”

It’s time you pop your bubble and realize what has been in front of you this whole time — trust me, it’s beautiful.