What you need to know about the upcoming Students’ Union election

File Photo

From Jan. 24 at 8:00 a.m. to Jan. 26 at 8:00 p.m. , Wilfrid Laurier University students can vote for their next representatives on the school’s Student Union.  

For those new to Laurier, the Students’ Union is a not-for-profit organization that is made up of 12 Board of Directors – all of whom are volunteers. The President and CEO hire their Executive Leadership team, who are supported by a full-time staff.  

Undergraduate students who are interested in participating can be nominated for the following positions:

• President & Chief Executive Officer (one position, paid) 
  • Member of the Students’ Union Board of Directors (10 positions, volunteer).  
  • Wilfrid University Board of Governors (1 volunteer position) 
  • Wilfrid University Senate (1 volunteer position for a set term) 

The positions of the President, Chief Executive Officer, one of the Wilfrid Laurier University Senate members and all of the Members of the Students’ Union Board of Directors are year-long positions. Conversely, the  Board of Governors position is a two year term, alongside the other position on the  Senate.  

Students can vote through an online portal where they will be prompted to select candidates to vote for. The link to this portal is sent through email before the voting period. Further, students can watch the Student Publication Presidential Debates on Jan. 17 at 12:00 p.m. and Jan 23 at 3:00 p.m. Both debates are in-person and online.  

Lastly, there is a Waterloo Candidate Meet-up on Jan 20 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.    

All eligible undergraduate students are encouraged to vote in the Students’ Union election and help make an impact for all students.