What has Instagram done to us?

When a group of people get together anything can happen. They can build a mars rover. They can build a house for someone in need. Or, as in most cases, they can get drunk and do stupid things.

Now 20, even as early as 30 years ago, when events like this had taken place, a few pictures would have been taken and those pictures would either never have been developed, or stuffed away in a box for no one to ever see again. This is not the case now.

We live in a time when things are Instagrammed and shared instantly, pictures are sent to friends, posted on Facebook and are public for anyone to see. What used to be a moment shared between an intimate group of people is now shared with everyone.

This is both a blessing and a curse. Relatives and friends that live far away can be caught up on your life accomplishments and can see pictures from birthdays, anniversaries or weddings and feel as though they were a part of the celebration.

However, in the case of stupid-drunk partying, or sober partying, these pictures can be high-powered artillery. More than a few people have lost jobs because of pictures on Facebook or Twitter.

Another major aggravation is the fact that people think this technology makes them a photographer. They somehow believe that by putting a ‘sepia’ filter on the picture of their hotdog makes them brilliant and talented. They create an artsy title (‘These summer days seem endless in your arms’) on their Facebook photo albums, take some black and white “selfies” and a few sunset pictures and call it art.

SERIOUSLY?

These things are not creative. Everyone does them. And if you ask me, people are far too careless with their iPhone cameras to post their ‘art’ immediately.

So what is my point in this rant? It’s simple: think before you tweet. Yes, you might find that picture of your best friend passed out over a toilet hilarious and I bet they will too the next day, but the whole world doesn’t need to see it.

The problem is that we are so connected and in tune with technology that we lose out on actually being in the moment.

As a child my parents took me to Stars On Ice (I’m scarred, trust me), but one thing I took away from it (other than that Kurt Browning is a fantastic figure skater), is that before the show the announcer said, “please no videotaping, you will enjoy the show much better through your eyes than through the lens of your camera.” This could not be truer in today’s day and age.

This is not to discredit video/photographic memories. Please, by all means, video tape your child’s first steps or your brother’s graduation- these are moments that SHOULD be shared and shown to everyone.

But food? Seriously people? I don’t need you flaunting your ‘OMG MENCHIE’S’ photos all over my twitter feed. Just remember that although you have the ability to show everyone the photos of your friend shirtless under a table, doesn’t mean you should.