Open Cord: Most-watched movie

(Graphic by Wade Thompson).

Q: What movie have you seen the most times and explain why. Make sure to show your work.

Stephanie Truong, Graphics Editor

This is extremely embarrassing, but I have seen How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days an unspeakable amount of times. Anyone who is really close to me has probably also seen it more than anyone should, because I can always always watch it. If I’m sad, it cheers me up. If I’m already happy, it makes me happier. I know all the lines off by heart, and I never ever get tired of it. Matthew McConaughey was also at his prime in that year so the eye candy was also marvelous.

Cristina Rucchetta, Lead Photographer 

“Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I’m not a fool…” Not only is Billy Madison my favourite Adam Sandler movie, but it is also the movie I have probably seen about a million times. Yes, it is extremely immature and actually quite terrible if you really think about it, but it manages to make me laugh every time. I could probably recite the entire movie from start to finish if you asked me to – including this song. It’s definitely one movie I could never get sick of watching. O’Doyle rules.

Carly Basch, Life Editor

10 Things I Hate About You. Not only was it the first DVD that I ever owned but I can shamelessly recite the entire dialogue from start to finish while (occasionally) singing along to the sound track. My heart always melts when Heath Ledger proclaims his love during this performance and I would let Joseph Gordon-Levitt be my french tutor any day. A great modern-day adaptation of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew (with a ton of easter-egg allusions towards Shakespeare) every character presented is hilarious, quirky and witty. Excluding my love for John Hughes, this is the best high school film of all.

Marissa Evans, Lead Reporter

Probably one of the first three Harry Potter movies. I grew up reading the books and watching the movies. And let’s be honest, every time the next movie would come out you had to watch all the movies over again starting with The Philosopher’s Stone. My sister and I suck to watch any of the movies with because we spend the entire time quoting all of the dialogue. And don’t try to challenge us at Harry Potter Sceneit.

Colleen Connolly, Features Editor

Dirty Dancing is an old film I just can’t get sick of. It’s a fantastic love story with a great build and conclusion. The first time I watched it I was with my dad however and, well, it got awkward. But that didn’t ruin it for me, which really attests to its awesomeness… nobody puts baby in the corner.

Alanna Fairey, Lead Reporter

I don’t think it’s a shock to anybody when I tell them that I am a huge fan/lover/stalker of Leonardo DiCaprio. So it should go as no shock that I have seen his movies a million times, especially Titanic. I sit through the entire movie without any food or pee breaks, just because I think that this is without a doubt one of the greatest love stories of all time. I usually watch this movie alone because everyone I know makes fun of how I always cry during this movie, especially when Leonardo DiCaprio sacrifices himself for Kate Winslet. That scene kills me every time, yet I still watch it and know all the words and all the lyrics to “My Heart Will Go On”. Don’t judge.

Justin Smirlies, News Director 

Now, before you judge me on my most scene film, you’ll have to remember how young I was when I started liking this movie, or I should rather say, franchise. Admittedly, if you had things you loved when you were child, you’re going to go back to them once and awhile for nostalgic reasons. When I was at the tender age of four, my cousin — who was around 11 at the time — gave me his barely used Sega Genesis, along with a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog (another favourite of mine). My father, on the way home by uncle’s place, decided to stop at a used video game store to do what every cool father does and bought me an extremely violent video game meant for those older than the age of 17. It was Mortal Kombat.

The film adaptation of that arcade fighter came out a few years later and I loved it when I first saw it in theatres. The following Christmas I got it on VHS. Watching it over and over, trying various punches and kicks on my brother and dressing up as Sub-Zero two Halloweens in a row just showed how much I loved this movie. I was sick a lot when I was child too, and my mom used to put it on for me to make me feel better. Strangely, I’m not a violent person today. My parents recently got me a blu-ray version of the movie which I still watch from time-to-time. Even more embarrassing, (500) Days of Summer comes awfully close though to being my most watched film.

Kate Turner, Photography Manager

Jurassic Park. It’s a movie about dinosaurs AND Samuel L. Jackson is in it…. of course I’ve seen it 1,000 times. It taught me the most valuable lesson I’ll ever learn: when you’re being chased by a T-Rex, don’t run into an outhouse and sit on the toilet.

Justin Fauteux, Editor-in-Chief

I first saw Back to the Future at a sleepover when I was eight years old. That summer alone, I must’ve watched it 100 times more. And that’s not something I’ve grown out of either. Whenever I’m sick/hungover/have some time to kill, my go-to is still Doc and Marty. And while Part Two and Part Three are still damn fine movies, there’s just nothing quite like watching Michael J. Fox jump around a stage playing “Johnny B. Goode.”

I guess I also have to give an honourable mention to Cool Runnings, which I one time watched five times in three days. But that’s a story for a different time.

Shelby Blackley, Sports Editor

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Yeah. I’ve seen it that many times. Monty Python and the Holy Grail became one of my favourite movies after my grade 8 class watched it four times in our final month stuck in that classroom, and since then, I still find myself going back to it for a laugh and to recite random quotations that truly make no sense.

Ali Connerty, Arts Editor 

For one reason or another, every year without fail I have watched The Princess Bride. Growing up, it seemed to be every elementary teacher’s favourite movie, and they found it necessary to share with the class because there was some sort of ‘life lesson’ to be learned. I can tell you, the only lesson I’ve learned from it is that if you befriend a giant and a Spaniard, be prepared to invade a castle and destroy a delicious looking feast, come back from the dead and be stalked by a complete stranger through fiery woods. I do still get really excited when it comes on television though and have to watch it, because this might be the only time i get to see it all year!

Wade Thompson, Visual Director

It took me a little bit to come up with what movie I’ve seen most often because there are at least a handful I tend to watch over and over again. The Shawshank Redemption, A Few Good Men, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future and Beauty and the Beast would all be up there on that list. But I can’t help but feel that the one I’ve seen the most due to my affinity for it as a child is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I do remember discovering it as a kid on the recommendation of my dad and loving it almost immediately. Over the next few years I would own two VHS copies of it as the first one was just too worn out to continue on. Over the last little bit I have only seen it two or three times, but it’s still one of those movies that when and if it’s on TV, you had bet your ass I’ll be watching it.