Waterloo skating rink approved

On Oct. 19, city council approved recommendations made by city staff that will allow for a skating in Uptown Waterloo to open in December.

The Community Fundraising Group announced at the council meeting that they have successfully raised $385,000 toward the total costs of $450,000 required for the rink’s construction. This figure was a great achievement for the committee as they began fundraising just after Labour Day.

The swift allocation of funds was specifically attributed to the Frank Cowan Foundation which donated $150,000. Other notable donors included the Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club, Eastforest Homes Ltd., and the Investors Group.

Council’s approval will ensure that the installation of the infrastructure in the public square will occur in time for the rink to open on Dec. 19.

Paul Rossi, member of the fundraising group, said, “I think it’s fantastic to get people to skate on the ice this Christmas season.”

Council’s approval also ensures any shortages in funds will be supported by the city with the surplus funds from the public squares initial construction. The shortage, however, has yet to be determined as the group continues to collect donations.

City staff are currently working on plans to recognize donors with a formal plaque in the public square.

Plans are also ongoing to develop specific programming including lessons and skate rental programs to broaden the accessibility of the rink.

After weeks of uncertainty of constructing the skating rink for this winter, council’s unanimous approval conveyed their excitement and support of the project.

“I think this is a historical time for the city,” said Mayor Brenda Halloran.