Wash-free makeup

Graphic by Lena Yang
Graphic by Lena Yang

The summer heat is often desired in the midst of the cold and dreary winter, but when you notice your make-up melting off, the heat seems less desirable.

Ladies, don’t put your make-up bag away for the duration of the summer, we all know that you still want to look good when you go on your summer dates. However, when the foundation and the mascara are sliding down your face, you are only showing the world that you are hot — and not in the attractive way.

There are a few tips that you should consider when putting on make-up this summer. You can still look like a summer babe and avoid looking like a clown by making a few slight changes to your make-up regime.

The most important make-up tip is in regards to foundation, as many often misapply it. The less you put on, the less there is to slide off. A dampened make-up sponge is the ultimate tool for applying it so that it goes on light and absolute.

If you put a few drops on a moist foam-latex sponge, and swipe it from the middle of your face outward in short strokes, it will come off as light and weightless. Give it a minute or so to set before you apply other makeup. Your foundation shouldn’t feel heavy. If it does, you put on too much.

Waterproof mascara should be a no-brainer when going out in the summer heat. It can withstand the office, the gym, the pool and the bar without smudging. The last thing you’ll want is for mascara to start running down into your eyes.

For a much more natural and lighter look, apply one layer on the top lid and try to use a brown-black solution rather than jet-black mascara.

Lips were made for kissing and nothing kills the mood quite like sticky and runny lip-gloss. To avoid this awkward situation, skip the thick and heavy lipsticks and choose a light lip-gloss or tinted lip balm as an alternative.

Lip conditioners are an incredible choice for summer, providing sun protection as well as a sexy hint of colour and gloss without being too much.

Finally, the most helpful tip for not melting in the summer heat is to always keep oil-blotting sheets in your purse. The oil blotting sheets, commonly found at Sephora, help soak up excess oil without distorting your makeup.

The only thing you want to be careful of is to avoid powdered facial blotters because the layer of powder will clog your pores.

Follow these summer make-up tips carefully, and you will be a sun kissed summer babe. At least, until the cold weather returns in the fall.