Walker elected president

Around 2:30 a.m. Friday morning, the results of the 2010-11 Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union president were announced at Wilf’s. Kyle Walker, after patiently and nervously pacing around the bar, shouted for joy as he was declared the winner.

“I’m happy… I don’t really know what else to say,” said Walker, who was almost speechless after the announcement. “I figured it was going to be close, but I didn’t know which way it would swing.”

Kory Preston finished second, Lawrence Maclin third and Sunny Chan fourth.

While the elections committee, led by chief returning officer (CRO) Nicole Rebry, counted the ballots, candidates Maclin and Walker arrived at Wilf’s early to await the results.

Preston appeared around 1 a.m., while Chan did not make an appearance at all and refused to comment about the results at a later date.

Prior to the announcement, Walker said that he really had no idea what the outcome would be, but noted that he was “cautiously optimistic.” He added that he felt there had been a good turnout of students throughout the day.

Walker spent the majority of Election Day in Brantford, adding that to his knowledge no presidential candidate has ever done that before.

“I think Brantford students responded well. Down there, there’s only one polling station in one building with only one place to go in and out, so I kind of parked myself outside of there and talked to a lot of students,” said Walker.

The other candidates were quick to congratulate Walker after his victory was announced; Preston even embraced Walker in a massive hug, evidently displaying no immediate hard feelings.

“I’m stoked; I think Kyle will make an amazing president. I absolutely support him,” commented Preston afterwards.

He added that if he could do it all over again, he would not change a thing about how his campaign was run.

“My campaign’s focus was on spreading awareness about the issues and I think we did that.”

Preston was unsure if he was going to remain involved with WLUSU for the upcoming year, noting, “It’s a long road between now and then.”

Maclin also expressed his support for Walker as WLUSU president.

“Kyle ran an amazing race and I know he’s going to do a great job next year. I’m very happy with that fact.”

Maclin was quick to give a nod to his campaign team and the way they ran the presidential race.

“I’m very proud that I had the opportunity to work with each and every one of them and I wouldn’t change a thing.”

When asked what he was going to do first for students, Walker said he was unsure, as a lot can happen between now and May 1.

He was, however, completely sure about one thing.

“Every day I’m going to fight for students. It’s going to be the first thing [I do], the last thing and everything in between.