Vehicle crash into Laurier Brantford Student Centre closes building for the day

Wilfrid Laurier University’s Student Centre on the Brantford campus is closed due to a car crash.

Earlier this morning, at approximately 6:00 a.m., a single car crashed into the Student Centre, which is located on Darling St.

The crash allegedly knocked out power to portions of downtown Brantford. The women apparently driving the car was taken to a hospital in Hamilton with serious injuries.

The Brantford Expositor reported that the car was identified as a white Pontiac Grand Am.

“Pleased be advised that the Brantford Student Centre is closed until further notice as the result of a motor vehicle hitting the building early this morning,” read a post on Laurier’s Facebook page.

“In the interim, Laurier’s Brantford Student Wellness Centre counsellor and mental health nurse will be available at the residence life offices at Grand River Hall, and will have confidential space available to meet with students. The Student Support Coordinator will also be relocated to the residence life office at Grand River Hall.”

It is currently unknown when the crash area will be reopened and when staff and faculty will be able to access the building — Laurier Students’ Union say the building will remain closed for the day.

“Students in need of the services of a walk-in clinic are encouraged to visit the Brantford West Medical Centre, located at 164 Colborne St. W, Unit 2A (www.brantfordclinic.com) or the Brantford Commons Medical Walk-in located at 300 King George Rd. (www.brantfordmedical.ca),” read the post to Laurier’s Facebook page.

“As always, those in need of emergency medical assistance should seek services at the Brantford General Hospital.”

“Brantford Campus Students’ Union offices will be closed for the day. Students seeking the food bank or other support services can connect with the Student Support Coordinator at Grand River Hall.”

“All missed Wellness Centre appointments will be rebooked with students as soon as possible. We recognize that this is a stressful time of year, and apologize for any inconvenience. Please know that the Student Wellness Centre Dean of Students team is available to students today at Grand River Hall, and encourage students you are in contact with to reach out for their services if they require them.”