Unsigned: Achieving fitness results requires effort, not money

The summer body of your dreams is only 100 dollars away! With one easy purchase, all your fitness goals will suddenly be achieved! At least, that’s what they want you to believe.

Personal activity trackers, such as Fitbits and other pedometer alternatives, have revolutionized the fitness industry, by making people believe that fitness results are achieved through slamming dollars on store counters instead of sweating puddles on gym floors.

Sure, there’s some great benefits. The psychological reinforcement of calculated progression that these money-grabbers deliver can definitely get people into their zones of motivation.

As well, the appeal of joining an enthusiastic community of fellow users can validate every penny. But we believe there’s an underlying problem with spending so much on equipment that does not directly lead to outcomes.

What is it? That your money is valuable and can be used for more valuable resources instead.

Physical activity trackers that are worn are becoming more of a status symbol than anything else. They’re a personal trainor without the face-to-face contact one has with another human being.

They are also wildly generic. How can a piece of technology know how much weight you should loose without being able to see you, or give you a proper medical assessment?

Is wearing a digital band that tells you to walk more or drink more, based on some generic formula really worth that pretty penny? Let alone what it can do to your confidence.

As students, we clearly need every cent. Spending dollars isn’t the solution for getting the fitness results you desire.