Underrated festive flicks for the holiday season

Jingle, All the Way

People often sleep on the true greatness of this 90’s holiday movie starring Arnold Schwarznegger and I’ve never understood how that was possible.

Is it expertly done? Absolutely not. Is it a creation of comedic genius through the pure fact that it’s so bad, it’s good? Absolutely. 

What more could you want in a festive movie that truly embodies the Christmas spirit than a workaholic father on a quest to reconnect with his young son?

Jingle All the Way has a poorly crafted CGI reindeer, a loosely strung together plot and Arnold shouting, “I’m not a pervert! I was just looking for a Turbo Man doll!”

Arthur Christmas

Arthur Christmas is a quirky little movie with endless charm and a surprisingly original plot for a movie centered around Christmas.

The animation is adorable, and the voice cast makes it a genuinely enjoyable watch.

Watching it just makes me want to curl up on the couch wearing an oversized sweater while drinking a steaming mug of hot chocolate, which I consider  to be the best part of watching any holiday movie.

Bridget Jones’ Diary

A personal favourite rom-com of mine that also doubles as a solid movie to put on during the Christmas season, this is a go-to watch of mine every year.

Featuring the English beauty of Hugh Grant and Colin Firth, this is a cozy little film that’s perfect for a night in with wine and snacks.

Edward Scissorhands

There’s something so comforting about this odd little movie that makes me think of a snowglobe come to life, that it’s unconventional, but great a pick if you’re looking for something to watch over the holidays that’s a little different, but still enjoyable.

Black Christmas

Sick and tired of the same old Christmas movies that are sickly sweet and full of festive cheer?

Well, look no further. This 70s horror movie is one of the first in the slasher genre, and it’s a great option for people who prefer watching scary films over cheesy, feel-good Hallmark specials.      

Jack Frost

Michael Keaton transformed into a slightly terrifying snowman? Sign me up.