Two children hurt in fire at Bridgeport apartment

Fire crews and police respond to Saturday night's fire at 57 Bridgeport Rd. (Photo by Elizabeth DiCesare).
Fire crews and police respond to Saturday night’s fire at 57 Bridgeport Rd. (Photo by Elizabeth DiCesare).

A fire late Saturday night at 57 Bridgeport Rd. saw two children suffer injuries after their parents were forced to throw them from the burning building.

Fire crews were called to the four-storey apartment building around 10 p.m. but were unable to gain access to the building due to heavy flames and heat. The two children who sustained injuries were the only residents left in the building and when fire crews could not access the inside of the building, the parents had to throw their children out of the building to avoid flames.

According to a Waterloo fired department release, one child is in critical condition at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto while the other is reported to have non-life threatening injuries and is at Grand River Hospital. Firefighters were able to use ground ladders to rescue the parents.

The Waterloo fire department release also said that it is too early in the investigation to estimate the cost of damages to the building.

The Red Cross will place the building’s 83 tenants in short-term accommodations as the fire is under investigation.