Tinder Tales shows the comedic and unnerving stories behind Tinder interactions

Photo by Hayley McGoldrick

On Feb. 13, between 7:00 to 9:30 p.m., the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union, in partnership with Just For Laughs, hosted their very own “Tinder Tales: A Comedy Show” in The Turret for 19+ students.

The night gave a collection of performers the opportunity to share their experiences regarding the popular dating app to lighten the atmosphere and get students in the mood for Valentine’s Day.

“They’re going to talk about their horrible dating stories and Tinder horror stories and things like that … [and] they’ll each go up and tell their stories about love and finding love — and maybe not finding love,” said Kelsey Richard, programming & promotions manager for the Students’ Union.

The event, which was hosted by dynamic Canadian storyteller Isabel Zawtun, featured acts from a number of Just For Laughs comedians, including Al Val, Clif Knight, Krissia Valiente, Alan Shane Lewis, Kaleb Belak and Bria Hiebert.

Though “Tinder Tales” is new to Laurier this year, the organization, which made its debut in Toronto, has been around since 2014.

Despite the comedy behind the show, a lot of these tales are extremely relatable. Though comic relief is one such way to cope with stress, these tales also come with some caution behind them.

The Students’ Union was approached by McMaster University, who helped them to organize and orchestrate the event.

“They knew the contact directly and then us, along with Sheridan and McMaster, decided to book them all this week, as a sort of Valentine’s Day thing — because it all fits perfectly,” Richard said.

With a very reasonable price — just two dollars or free with the purchase of one of their candygrams — it came as a surprise that the event in The Turret, which filled over roughly half the seats, didn’t have a greater turnout.

Due to the inclement weather that lead to the university’s closure on Tuesday, the event was moved to Wednesday, meaning that a number of students were likely unable to attend due to midterms.

Alternatively, the volatile and severe weather patterns in the past week might have proved too much of a hazard for some students.

Hopefully, these “Tinder Tales” will make their way back to Laurier sometime soon — when the weather warms up slightly — so more Golden Hawks can take advantage of this entertainment.