The best rom-coms for any occasion

Whether you’re doing the classic dinner and a movie or just feel like getting the girls or guys together for a good laugh, here is a list of movies that offer a few knee slappers. In no particular order, I present to you my favourite laughs in the form of cinematic masterpieces. Take your pick of cast members, storylines or randomly stop scrolling and point to a title to enjoy. I would personally recommend a pair of fuzzy pajama pants and a beverage of your choice.

I Love You, Man (2009)

What’s a wedding without a best man? Starring Paul Rudd, Jason Segel and Rashida Jones, this flick is a great choice for any groups of friends that want to share a good laugh over popcorn and drinks on a casual Friday night in.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

Follow writer and star Jason Segel as he travels to Hawaii to get over his TV-star girlfriend. In Hawaii he runs into not only his famous ex but her new boyfriend, played by Russell Brand, of course. Topped with the humour of Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell and Bill Hader, this comedy is sure to have the whole room howling with laughter.

Valentine’s Day (2010)

Talk about incredible casts! Where else do you find Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Alba, Bradley Cooper, Patrick Dempsey, Jennifer Garner, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez, Emma Roberts, Taylor Swift, Julia Roberts and Queen Latifa in one screenplay? Set in Los Angeles, Valentine’s Day features stories of both couples and singles as they face the normal, everyday pressures of love and relationships, especially emphasized on Valentine’s Day. Director Garry Marshall teaches us that Valentine’s Day is about so much more than just loving a significant other.

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

A break from the traditional American rom-coms, The Edge of Seventeen is a coming-of-age drama-comedy starring Hailee Seinfeld as she goes through the ups and downs of her teenage years. I can always count on this movie to make me laugh even when I’m in the lowest of moods. I highly recommend you give it a try if you haven’t already.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018)

One of the freshest, most real romance movies in the game, Lana Condor stars in this very recent film about growing up and coming to terms with her heart’s desires. Noah Centineo swoops in and steals the cake of charming male characters. You’re going to want to watch this now because the sequel To All the Boys 2: P.S. I Still Love You comes out on Netflix February 12th — just in time for Valentine’s Day.

Ibiza (2018)

You will be pleasantly surprised by this Netflix original directed by Alex Richenbach. I had to watch it twice because the humour was just too good. Basically, a group of best friends travel to Spain to meet a hot DJ and, well, you can add Spain to your bucket list. Anyway, if you’re looking for a genuinely good laugh, this is the movie to see. Best enjoyed with the girls and a margarita — or three.

How to Be Single (2016)

This movie is pretty much all you and your girlfriends need. Watch as Dakota Johnson, Rebel Wilson, Leslie Mann and Alison Brie navigate love and relationships in New York City. Sidenote: you don’t have to be single to watch this movie. You will, however, learn a few hacks for doing things by yourself. For example, how to reach the zipper on the back of your dress.

Bridesmaids (2011)

Get the girls together and cozy up on the couch to watch this hilarious movie about wedding planning and friendship. To make it even more fun, assign everyone to the character they match in the movie. Between the toasts, the travels and the gown fittings, you might need a couple tissues to wipe the tears of laughter from your cheeks. This is definitely the movie to watch if you need a good laugh — and perhaps some inspiration.

Stuck in Love (2012)

One of my all-time favourite movies. It could just be because Lily Collins, Logan Lerman, Greg Kinnear and Jennifer Connelly are all in it, but this movie is a modern work of artistic talent. You might fall in love with every character, and you might feel inspired to write a book by the end as well.

And there you have it, folks. My list of nine romantic comedies, and just plain old comedies to lift your spirits and keep you happy all though the season. Just remember — Valentine’s Day is not just for couples. It’s for friends, family      and great movies.