The Beat Goes On is expanding in KW region

Photo by Jackie Vang

The Beat Goes On, a chain of both new and second-hand CD’s, vinyl, DVD’s, Blu-ray and other audio visual goodies is on the move in the Waterloo region.

This chain often has you covered regardless of your taste. From really-hard-to-find B-movies, to new vinyl releases, they have it all.

As of late August, what was originally Beat Goes On’s Waterloo location, on King Street, and their Kitchener location, on Highland Road, have merged into a new superstore location.

The new retail space is located at 341 Weber Street North, less than 5 minutes’ walk from their old King Street space.

This new superstore location features a larger space for the housing of products, as well as for encouraging more leisurely browsing.

As for the reasons behind the move, founder and owner John Rocchetta explained this is due to the need for more space for inventory, “Our best year was last year, and our best year before that was the year prior,” he said in an interview to The Record.

“We were a small fish in a big pond. Today, we’re a big fish in a small pond,” he continued to tell The Record.

“The way we’re building it is to make it a bit old school just based on the experience. And people still enjoy doing that.”

Thanks to the move to the larger retail space, The Beat Goes On has expanded operations and can therefore stock more in order to satisfy an increasing customer demand for their products.

The Beat Goes On’s annual anniversary sale took place on August 18 and 19 and featured 40% off all used products. It also featured 15% off of LP’s and accessories.

This sale coincided with the Weber Street location’s Grand Opening on August 18.

To celebrate the occasion, the store opened the garage door in the front of their store and played live music throughout the day.

The live music and festivities for the Grand Opening were meant to invoke a certain feeling in customers, as Rocchetta explained.

“This store is to bring back the experience — the bands, the browsing, the selection,” he told The Record.

Further plans exist to add more character into the shopping experience of the new store.

As Rocchetta said: “The way we’re building it is to make it a bit old school just based on the experience. And people still enjoy doing that,” as quoted in The Record.

One thing is for certain: with their expansion, Beat Goes On is expanding to provide the best service they can for the future of their store in the Kitchener-Waterloo Region.

You can find the new store near the corner of Weber and Columbia, almost across from the police station and a short walk from the King and Columbia bus stop.