Sports in brief: July 27

No positive tests for Laurier football team

After the steroid scandal that caused the University of Waterloo to suspend their football program for the 2010 season, the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) has been testing Laurier football players throughout the summer.

To this point, five Hawks have taken unannounced tests at their summer residences with none of them testing positive for any banned substances.

The Hawks were originally supposed to be tested on March 31 along with UW, Guelph and McMaster, however the CCES officials failed to show up at the stadium where the team was practicing.

Six to join Golden Hawk Hall of Fame

In early July, Laurier’s athletics department announced the 2010 class of inductees for the Golden Hawk hall of fame. Two members of Laurier’s 2005 Vanier Cup winning football team – Ryan Pyear and Ian Logan – headline the group, joined by another football player in Ryan Jeffrey.

Also being inducted will be former women’s rugby star Christine Caruthers, as well as Jason Lyall who played on the Hawks’ 2001 Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) champion men’s soccer team.

Meanwhile, Tom Allen will go into the hall of fame as a builder for his contributions to Laurier’s football program, while the 2000 men’s soccer team –who also won the CIS title – will be this year’s team inductees.

The class will be inducted as part of Laurier’s homecoming celebration on Oct. 1.

New rugby coaches hired

The vacant head coaching position for the Golden Hawks’ women’s rugby team has been filled – twice.

This season, the team will employ two women at the helm, as Amy Bambury and Michelle Joslin will work as co-head coaches, replacing Jennifer Armatage who stepped down from her post in March.