Radio Laurier spotlight: New York Fashion Week

Celebrities and fashion moguls from all reaches of the globe are congregating in New York City from Sept. 8-15 for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. Fashion Week showcases Spring 2012 trends at the Lincoln Centre and various other locations around Manhattan. The impressive list of designers has drawn A-list crowds including U2’s Bono, actress Rachel Bilson and the unlikely pair of Nicki Minaj and Anna Wintour, who sat side by side at the Carolina Herrera show.

Many celebrities are also showcasing their lines this week, including the Olsen twins and Nicole Richie. Celebrity debuts include the Kardashian Kollection for Sears, Jennifer Lopez’s line of casual wear for Kohl’s and Katie Holme’s new dress line.

The Queen of Pop, also known as Madonna, was in town prior to heading to Toronto for TIFF to debut a junior line she designed with her daughter Lourdes called Material Girl, available at Macy’s.

One of the big events during New York Fashion Week is Fashion’s Night Out (FNO).  This year marks the third consecutive year for the event.

FNO is both a huge party and a shopping experience with retailers in over 250 cities worldwide and 1000 in NYC alone who open their doors after hours for exclusive deals.

Stores and designers around the globe also host parties at various venues, including this year’s extravagant Versace event, which was DJed by Toronto export Drake.

This year’s New York Fashion Week also happened to fall on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 tragedies.  Each show that took place on Sept. 11 paused for two moments of silence to commemorate lives lost in the tragedy.

New York Fashion Week continues until Sept. 15 with its most high profile shows still to come, including Betsey Johnson, Vera Wang, Badgley Mischka. Michael Kors and Ralph Lauren, who will close Fashion Week with two back-to-back shows.