Pocket City victorious in round two of Last Band Standing

Showcasing three undoubtedly different styles of musical talent, the second round of A-Team’s Last Band Standing welcomed Less is More, MacAttack and Pocket City to Wilf’s on Wednesday, Dec. 1.

Starting off the night, in matching plaid shirts, Less is More surprised the audience with their high-energy punk rock performance. With members jumping all around the stage, this lively band wasted no time in drawing a crowd.

Performing second, MacAttack’s mellow folk-rock sound was reflected not only through their harmonious lead vocalists Jon Mackey and Amy Hunter, but also through their song choices, like one of the band’s originals “King of Hangovers.”

Although the more relaxed songs of this band did not draw as many people to the dance floor, a loyal crowd gathered at the sidelines to enjoy the soulful performance. “The experience tonight was a fun time,” said drummer Chris White. “You get to hang around with people that like the same things you enjoy,” he continued, describing the atmosphere of the event.

The Less is More and MacAttack were well-received by the small attentive crowd of Wilf’s, but ultimately bested by the winning hip-hop styling of five piece Pocket City.

Featuring the distinct sounds of a tenor saxophone and turntables in their ensemble, Pocket City presents a unique blend of funk and hip-hop. From beginning with an original rap number, to smoothly transitioning into a mash up of Bob Marley and their own work, Pocket City’s performance of crowd-pleasing favourites and undeniable stage presence made them stand out against competitors.

“The bands were tight,” said lead vocalist and guitarist Alex Tintinalli, “We didn’t have a clue that we were gonna win.”

Tintinalli explained that Pocket City has been together for nearly two years now, although he himself has been performing since he was thirteen, and won Nashville’s Fifteen Minutes of Fame Jr. in 2009. He also revealed that the band is currently working on an album, and is continuing to make their mark locally by playing at The Hive in Kitchener on Dec. 17.

Pocket City will move on to compete in the final round of Last Band Standing in the winter term.