Peter Katz plays Maxwell’s

This past Wednesday, singer/songwriter Peter Katz visited Maxwell’s Music House where he captivated the audience with his intriguing lyrics, catchy guitar tunes and soaring vocals.

“Waterloo has always been a very friendly place for me,” Katz stated as his reason for choosing Maxwell’s as the place to try out some new songs. Katz debuted a couple songs, while mixing in songs from his new album First of The Last to Know, released this past April.

Winner of the CBC Galaxie Rising Star Award, Katz has performed in some unconventional places, from small towns in northern British Columbia, to summer camps in both Canada and Europe, as well as many visits to college and university campuses. “Anywhere people want to hear my music is a great place to be,” said Katz.

The crowd at Maxwell’s was very receptive to Katz’ material, both new and old. With Katz being joined by a member of the audience for a cover of Glen Hansard’s ‘Falling Slowly’ as well as occasionally stepping away from the microphone to fill the room with his unaided vocals, the show was certainly memorable.

With supporting acts David Celia and Mike Evin who were equal parts humorous, sincere, and musically talented, the night was full of laughter and applause. See www.peterkatz.com for upcoming tour dates, including a December show in Toronto.

Songs to Check out:

First Of The Last To Know – Peter Katz Featuring Glen Hansard (Once, The Swell Season) The title track off Katz’ CD released in April.

Oliver’s Tune – Peter Katz A tribute to Canadian violin icon Oliver Schroer, who upon being diagnosed with terminal cancer, didn’t change anything about his life – because he was already doing exactly what he wanted to.

I’m Not Texan – David Celia A country song about, well, not really being country.

Good Watermelon – Mike Evin If you ask me, there are not nearly enough songs out there about this delicious fruit.