Perfect recipes for a first-year res student
In the world of dining halls, all nighters and Pizza Maniac, it can seem almost impossible to eat healthy while in a university residence.
For those skeptics out there who think they don’t have time to make a homemade meal in residence, or think it’s too expensive to eat healthy, think again.
Whether you are a seasoned chef or don’t know the difference between a spatula and a whisk, anyone can create these simple recipes with all the resources available in a university residence kitchen.
Eating healthy doesn’t mean dieting.
You don’t have to sacrifice all your favourite foods.
With some simple changes such as choosing whole-wheat over white breads, drinking in moderation, choosing healthier snacks and a little will power, you might be able to avoid eating processed foods every day.
While I can’t help with your classes or laundry, I can help you avoid that freshman 15 with these quick, healthy and budget-conscious recipes.
Caramelized Onion and Bacon Sandwich
-2 slices Italian bread
-1/8th cup of sliced onions
-1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
-3 slices of mozzarella cheese
-1 slice of bacon
-Butter for bread
1. Heat oil on pan over medium heat. Add onions and bacon and cook until golden brown. You may add some balsamic vinegar for a little added sweetness.
2. Butter both sides of the bread and place mozzarella, onions and bacon on top. Place other slice and top and cook until cheese is melted.
Mushroom and Ricotta Pizza
-1 piece of whole-wheat naan
-3 small sliced cremini mushrooms
-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
-1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
-1/4 tsp minced garlic
-3 tablespoons ricotta (or to taste)
-Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Heat 1 tsp of oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until brown (about 4-5 minutes). Add garlic and thyme at the end and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt.
3. Spread 1 tsp oil over naan. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme to pizza. Sprinkle with ricotta. Cook for 5 minutes.
Naan with Nutella and Strawberries
-1 piece of whole-wheat Naan
-2 tbsp. of Nutella
-1/4 cup sliced strawberries (or how many you’d like)
1. Set oven to broil and heat up naan for 3 minutes
2. Spread Nutella all over naan and cover with strawberries.
-2 cups rolled oats
-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp ground ginger
-3 tbsp vegetable oil
-1/4 cup apple juice
-3 tbsp maple syrup
-1/2 cups chopped nuts of your choice
-1 ½ cups of dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, oil, juice, and maple syrup in a bowl. Place on baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, tossing a few times.
3. Add cranberries and serve with milk and greek yogurt.