November documentary screenings at Princess Cinemas

Throughout the month of November, Princess Cinemas in Uptown Waterloo is screening several documentaries spanning a wide range of subject matter. With something to interest those in all walks of life, the November series is one students should be sure not to miss.

Into The Arctic: Part II

For years, Canadian artist Cory Trepanier has explored some of Canada’s most wild regions, capturing the landscapes on canvas. In his new film, he’s going further into the Canadian wilderness into remote lands, exploring the highest rock face in the world, the Wilberforve falls, and the Sam Ford Fiord. Trepanier faces natural and physical elements in an attempt to capture the Canadian wilderness which may never be the same again.

Nov 17 @ 7:00 and 7:15

Warren Miller: Like There’s No Tomorrow

In his 62nd winter sport’s film to date, Warren Miller presents Like There’s No Tomorrow, an annual reminder that winter is coming and thus, the ski season is looming. Featuring extreme sports icon Johnny Moseley, among other ski and snowboard pro’s, Like There’s No Tomorrow promises to be a spectacular display of highly skilled athletes preforming astonishing feats in their natural snowy habitat.

Nov 19 @ 2:00 and 7:00 p.m. Nov. 20 @ 2:00 and 7:00 p.m.
Cover Girl Culture: Awakening the Media Generation

A particularly eye-opening and relevant documentary, Cover Girl Culture explores the extent to which physical appearances are revered and valued in Western culture. Exploring the cosmetic industry, as well as advertising, fashion and the influence of Hollywood celebrities, the documentary attempts to reveal the way these values are becoming so deeply ingrained; affecting the health and well-being of today’s youth through constant sexualized social pressures.

Nov 23 @ 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. (includes Q & A with Director Nicole Clark, former Elite International model)

Who Cares About HER & Child Marriages

Two documentaries filmed in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda highlight the countless challenges facing African girls when it comes to sexual reproductive health. The documentaries provide an astonishing look into the tradition of child marriages, still prevalent in some areas of the continent.

Nov. 24 @ 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. (includes Q & A with director Nancy McKenna, SafeHands for Mothers)

—Compiled by Liz Smith