News in brief: Oct. 15, 2009

WLU student congress holds first meeting

Last Wednesday evening, leaders of different student groups on campus gathered in the Hawk’s Nest for the first WLU student congress meeting.

Hosted by Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union president Laura Sheridan, each student group gave updates about upcoming events within their groups, and discussed how to better integrate the groups.

“I was really excited when the idea for this developed,” said dean of students David McMurray, who attended the meeting to address the student groups. “Peer-to-peer education and information sharing is so important,” he added.

After each group presented their updates, the group discussed where future congress meetings were heading, and what the different groups wanted to talk about.

Evan Thor, president of the School of Business and Economics Student Society, mentioned that some challenges faced by one club might be another club’s strength; therefore, sharing these will help reach more of the student body.

The meeting was very informal and relaxed; people sat around in a circle on the couches, creating an environment where ideas were easily shared between groups.

–Lauren Millet

Market research survey launched

The Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union officially launched their market research survey last Wednesday, and students received an e-mail to their WLU accounts regarding how to fill out the survey.

The survey is phase one of the larger project.

The survey will be online until Oct. 20.

–Compiled by Lauren Millet

Pikes raise $1,500

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity completed their annual fundraiser and has raised $1,500 to donate to Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Kitchener-Waterloo. Members of the fraternity pulled a fire truck down Albert Street on Saturday, Oct. 3 during the homecoming festivities.

–Compiled by Lauren Millet

Laurier professor chosen as Balsillie school chair

Wilfrid Laurier University’s Paul Freston has been appointed to one of five academic chairs of the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) at the Balsillie School of International Affairs.

At Laurier, Freston is a religion and culture professor. At the Balsillie School he will be teaching religion and global affairs in three different graduate studies programs.

-Compiled by Idil Herzi