Moving forward through letting go

Dealing with your enemies - Lena Yang
(Graphic by Lena Yang)

Do you ever walk on campus and see people you don’t like and vice versa? Do you ever just roll your eyes mentally because you have locked eyes with someone that despises you? I am talking to you ladies! I’m sure there are men out there that deal with this issue too so regardless feel free to read on.

It is very true that not everyone will like the person you are and to be frank, you won’t like everyone either but it is important that we do not let these things affect us in the pursuit of our daily living.

It’s a fact that we all have those things that set us off and bother us to our core, but is harbouring deep frustration and anger towards someone that doesn’t like you really worth it? Is disliking a person so much that every time you see this certain individual you want to knock them out really worth it?

I don’t think so. I think situations like these should push us to be better while allowing us to move on with our lives.

You can’t control a person’s anger and frustrations toward you, but you can control how you react toward them. Little do we know, we allow those people to have control over us in some form when we constantly allow ourselves to be frustrated and angry with them.

Think about it.

In reality what you are really doing is giving this person you do not like or who doesn’t like you power over you. Why would you ever want this to be the case?

The only person that should have power over you is you. It is okay to acknowledge that you do not like a certain person, but in this realization we should make it a point to act like the maturing adults we are becoming by being civil and moving forward.

Many times they have their own issues that have to be dealt with so you become the outlet for their frustrations. We need to stop focusing on things that we cannot control. I used to get so wrapped up in my frustrations when I found out a certain individual didn’t like me. I would wonder why and completely be beside myself.

Now, I laugh and think about the amount of time I wasted worrying about something that was out of my control. I came to the realization that this shouldn’t have had nearly as much of an effect on me as it did in the past. I am who I am but not everyone is going to like me and that is perfectly fine.

This epiphany freed me and I’m sure it can free you too. It is such a liberating feeling to just not care about what other people think about you.

Think about how easy life would be if we simply let things go. Harbouring things like anger and stress regardless of the situation really take away from you. It affects you physically and your mind can run wild without you even realizing it sometimes.

Many do not even realize that carrying your frustrations toward a certain individual hurts you, not the other person.

It can slowly harden you towards other people who may not even have had a chance to show you who they are. Resenting people for others’ mistakes can be a huge result of this, but this can be stopped if we realize the issue and take the necessary precautions to prevent it.

I do not doubt the fact that sometimes people can do some things that really make us want to hate their entire being, but wouldn’t it be easier to dismiss it and move forward?

Why wallow? Moving forward allows you to look beyond whatever occurred. Life goes on, and 100 per cent of the time it does not wait for you to get with the program.