Men’s hockey upsets Lakehead

THUNDER BAY, Ont. — Rookie Thomas Middup scored twice, and four different Golden Hawks had multi-point nights as the visiting Laurier men’s hockey team upset the Lakehead Thunderwolves by a score of 6-5.

After ending the first period with zeroes on the board, both squads exploded, scoring four goals apiece in the second frame. Middup broke the deadlock on the power play, 3:49 into the second and Lakehead responded with three of their own in just under two minutes. The Hawks responded with three more of their own in the period courtesy of freshman Ben Skinner, veteran Jeff Bonneville, and Middup again with his second of the stanza. Big Jordan Smith ended the wild period with a tally for the hosts at 17:20 to even the score at 4-4.

A minute into the third to first-year Kain Allicock gave Laurier the lead, and third-year centre Colin Williams’ second of the year at 16:09 proved to be the game-winner.

Tremendously talented defenceman Mike Quesnele pulled the Wolves within a goal on the power play, but coach Greg Puhalski’s troops held on for the hard-fought 6-5 win.

Golden Hawks goaltender Ryan Daniels made 35 saves on 40 shots while Alex Dupuis made 29 saves on 35 shots in the loss for Lakehead.

The two teams meet again tomorrow night in Thunder Bay as the Hawks look to win two in a row at Lakehead for the first time since the 2006/2007 season.