Men’s hockey continues strong start by beating York

Photo by Garrison Oosterhof

Wilfrid Laurier University’s men’s hockey team is off to a strong start this season with a big win last Thursday against York Lions.

The 6-2 win over the Lions is an example of the team’s offensive strength.

Defensively, goaltender Colin Furlong stood on his head to keep the Golden Hawks ahead despite being outshot 33 to 24. York came out strong in the first period and never took their foot off the gas, winning the first period 1-0. However, Laurier responded to the pressure with three unanswered goals to take the second period 3-1.

“I didn’t think we had a very good first period, [but we had] a better second period tonight,” head coach, Greg Puhalski said during the second intermission.

“It’s going to be a close game all the way down here. York is in first place for a reason; they are a good hockey club, they play well together,” he continued.

“We have to be sure we do the right things with the puck, put the puck in the right places, eliminate our turnovers and just keep working, keep fore-checking.”

His prediction was right, the Lions didn’t roll over in the third period, keeping Laurier on their toes with a goal halfway through. Ultimately, Laurier put the finishing touches on the night, burying the Lions with two goals in three minutes.

Hawks rookies, Anthony Sorrentino and Kyle Jenkins, both played an important role in taking down the Lions, with Sorrentino breaking the ice with Laurier’s first goal of the game, and Jenkins finishing the scoring with a goal in the closing minutes.

“Just don’t play timid,” Puhalski said. “Don’t play safe, you have to play aggressive. Wherever you are, in your own zone, in the offensive zone, the neutral zone, you have to be sure you are on them and not giving them any time to make a play.”

The Hawks have been much more disciplined in the regular season after showing signs of trouble in the preseason, where they only earned one win compared to six losses.

“I think it’s about us playing our game and controlling what we do, regardless of who the opponent is. That’s always an emphasis for us, we can only control ourselves and influence what other teams do but not to be too concerned with the other team,” Coach Puhalski said.

Unfortunately, things didn’t go as well in their Saturday matchup against the Western Mustangs; the Hawks gave up three straight goals in a 3-1 defeat.

Every game counts as Laurier tries to stay ahead of Ryerson in the standings. Catch them this week when they play at the Sun Life Financial Arena in back-to-back games on Thursday and Friday.