Men’s basketball alum Kemel Archer becomes first of coach Serresse’s recruits to go pro after signing in Spain

File photo

Former men’s basketball forward, Kemel Archer who spent three seasons with the Golden Hawks is continuing his basketball career in Europe. After an impressive run with Laurier, Archer signed a professional contract with C.D.E Becedo of Liga EBA in Spain last week. 

Archer spent the first two seasons of his eligibility in North Bay playing for the Canadore Panthers before Laurier men’s basketball coach Justin Serresse realized his potential and recruited him to the Golden Hawks before the 2017-18 season. 

At the time of his signing with Laurier, coach Serresse called Archer an “outstanding athlete.” Three years later, the 6’6, 200 pound forward from Brampton became the first player under coach Serresse to sign a professional contract. 

Coach Serresse has developed a great culture in his four seasons with the Hawks and will certainly see many more of his players follow the path of Kemel Archer. A current star for the men’s basketball program and member of the same recruiting class as Archer, Ali Sow was drafted professionally into the CEBL this past summer. 

Archer was a force on the offensive and defensive side with Laurier and made tremendous strides, improving each year under Coach Serresse and the coaching staff. He received more playing time each season and made the most of all of the opportunities presented to him. 

In 74 total games with the purple and gold, Archer averaged nearly 11 points per game and over 8 rebounds per game and was a pivotal part of the program’s deep playoff runs in the past two seasons. 

With his tall and strong frame, Archer was a tenacious force on defense and a double-double machine, ultimately finishing with 20 double-doubles in his three seasons. Archer was named team MVP this past season as he overcame injuries and put forth his best season. 

In 22 regular season games, Archer averaged a double-double, 12 points and 10 rebounds and set the Laurier single season record for rebounds with 220 on the year. 

Archer is firmly in the Golden Hawks record book, ranking fourth in program history with 542 total rebounds despite only being with the team for three years. 

As he continues his basketball journey in Spain, Serresse could not be prouder of the athlete he coached and developed a special relationship with Archer off the court as well. 

After the final home game of this past season, Coach Serresse praised Kemel Archer for his growth with the program and the improvements he made as a man and student. 

“I am so proud of what he was able to achieve here. Kemel is a bright, professional and reliable kid. He is an incredible person and that is what we are going to miss even more than his skillset,” Coach Serresse said. 

C.D.E Becedo competes in the fourth tier of the Spanish basketball system and plays its home games in Santander, the northern coast of Spain.

“In three years for Kemel to be as high as he was with rebounds is crazy. He has been a leader, a mentor and a big brother. I am very excited to see how he will grow in the future and in the journey of professional life. I know he will be successful,” Coach Serresse said at Archer’s final home game.

The culture that has been built by Coach Serresse and his coaching staff have helped players like Archer make that jump to the next level. The bond that Archer and Serresse had for three seasons here was special and Serresse couldn’t be more proud about Archer becoming his first recruit to play professionally!