Local police issue reminder after increase in robberies

Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) has put out a reminder for anyone walking at night in the region to take proper safety precautions, as there has been an increase of person-on-person robberies in the area.

On the nights of July 8 and July 9, two robberies took place on Albert Street and Young Street.

In July 9 robbery, WRPS reported that three males, described by The Waterloo Record as three black men in their 20s with slim builds, approached another male and demanded he give them his phone and wallet. The suspects later fled northbound on Albert Street.

“We wanted to get that warning out to the public, especially to the students in that area who are maybe walking alone at night to make them aware of what’s going on and to take the proper security precautions,” Cherri Greeno, WRPS media relations coordinator, said.

Greeno recommends students walking alone at night take the proper safety precautions, such as informing friends of where they are planning to go and when they plan to arrive at their destinations.

It is also recommended that students keep valuables out of plain sight and walk in well-lit street areas where other people are present.

“Somebody walking with a backpack or you know [valuables] in plain sight, it may be an opportunity for them to go up and confront them so try and hide any valuables they may have,” Greeno explained.

Greeno stressed how important it is for victims of robberies to report the occurrence to WRPS, or if they have observed any suspicious activity happening late in the evening.

“Once it’s reported as it’s happening we have a better chance of getting there at a timely manner and arrest[ing] any possible suspects.”

Currently, WRPS do not have any suspects and are asking anyone with information to call WRPS at (519) 653-7700, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.