Local news: month in review: May 30, 2012

K-W braces for crucial byelection following Witmer’s resignation
A byelection must be held to fill Witmer’s seat as the K-W MPP. Witmer resigned last month to take a position as the chair for Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, to which she was appointed by Premier Dalton McGuinty. While most of these elections pass without consequence, this election could have major implications for the Liberal party.

The Liberals currently hold 52 of 107 seats in Ontario while the opposition holds 53 seats. If a Liberal wins the byelection they would hold a equal number of seats and in the event of a tie the speaker, Liberal Dave Levac, could vote.
The Liberals have a lot riding on the vote and feel they have a greater chance for success in the upcoming byelection than in previous years.

Provincial Government Invests $1.5 Million in Local Research
John Milloy, Kitchener Centre MPP and Minister of Community and Social Services, announced the recipients of this year’s Early Researcher Award (ERA) on May 4.

Milloy stressed the importance of supporting people through all stages of ideas.

Of the local research projects, eight will be done at University of Waterloo, two at Laurier and one at Perimeter Institute. Laurier’s award recipients were Jennifer Baltzer, an associate professor of biology and Laurier Barclay, an associate professor of business.

–Compiled by Yvonne Lemieux