Leave it to Laurier: how to let others study in peace

Graphic by Alan Li

Between final essays, projects and exams, virtually every one of us is completely swamped with work.

I get it, it’s the time of the year where everyone is practically living at the library. But that doesn’t mean that we have to act like it’s our own home, either.

There’s going to be a lot of other people around you so to make your library stay a little easier, I’ve compiled a list of suggestions – but you should probably take them as rules – for your library etiquette this end-of-term.

Asking someone to watch your stuff

It’s totally fine to ask someone to make sure that your laptop stays exactly where you left it. After the thefts on campus a few years ago, it’s probably a great idea if you’re not going to take it with you. But if you’re leaving for longer than, say, five or ten minutes to go to the bathroom or grab a snack fromthe vending machines, you should probably think twice.

I once watched a guy’s stuff for almost two hours when he went home — that’s ludicrous. I’m all for being neighbourly but you should limit the amount of faith you put into complete strangers.

Personal hygiene

Seriously, I know and I’ve been there. Sometimes an all-nighter in the cubicle is necessary if we’re going to be ready for the exam the next day.

But four days? It’s time to go home and take a shower. Seriously. You’ll feel better if you’re clean, and you’ll be less distracting to those around you.

While we’re at it, everyone is packed tightly together in the library. It gets hot and stuffy. It’s really appreciated if you were to wear something to cover the B.O.

Saving cubicles

You know that movie trailer about the guy who hogs all the seats for his friends? Yeah, don’t do that in the library either.

As much as I joke about always having somewhere to study, everywhere is packed during exam season. We all have to study at the same time, and it’s really not cool to take up the room that someone else could be using.

If you are a set of two-people at a six-person table, let other people sit down. If you just want the cubicle next to you to be free, don’t do that. As much as we want to study comfortably, we have to be considerate of others, especially at such a stressful time.

Respect the floors

For the love of all things that are holy, it is called “silent seven” for a reason. If you’re talking up there, you deserve to have a Spotted tweet or to get called out. There are very few places on campus to study in silence to begin with.

The same thing goes for floor three — if you think people are being too loud, you need to move up a floor.

There’s something for everyone and you just need to find what best suits you. While you’re at it, don’t disturb the people who already have.

Food

I’m personally okay with food, as long as you’re following the library rules. As long as it’s not messy or disturbing anyone or anything, you’re probably in the clear.

I would suggest that you probably bring something that suits the floor you’re going to, though. Chips may be fine on three or four, but I wouldn’t suggest them on seven.

Sleeping

We have the nap pod for a reason! If you need a snooze, feel free. Again, if you’re a snorer or if you happen to talk in your sleep, I’d suggest moving down a few floors.

However, if you’re really that tired, maybe it’s time to go home. As stressful as this season is, self-care is really important. If you don’t take care of yourself, no one will be there to do your essay or write your exam.

Give yourself a break — you’ll sleep better in your own bed anyway.