Laurier tops Gaels in triple overtime thriller

Andreas Patsiaouros-hockey
Photo by Andreas Patsiaouros

It took 94 minutes and a 49 save performance by Amanda Smith, but the Wilfrid Laurier University women’s hockey team defeated the Queen’s Gaels by a score of 1-0 in a triple overtime victory. It marked the third straight time the Hawks shut out the Gaels in the playoffs.

The Hawks take a one to nothing series lead over the Gaels, the sixth nationally ranked team, in a best of three series.

Smith shut the door on a highly offensive Gaels team, which included flashing the glove on former Golden Hawk forward Fiona Lester in an entertaining game one in the first round of the Ontario University Athletics playoffs.

“Honestly, just such a cool game to play. Caitlyn [Lahonen] also had a great game — one of the best goal tending duels I’ve ever had,” Smith said after the game. “Her save in the second overtime against [Danelle] Im was incredible.”

Fifth-year forward Tammy Freiburger scored the only goal of the game in a scramble at the Queen’s end when she found the back of the net, giving the Hawks a game advantage going back to Kingston this weekend.

According to head coach Rick Osborne, the Hawks know they are going to be playing some tough hockey if they are going to close the series.

“There’s no question the second one is going to be just as tough, if not tougher,” he said.

“Our process is grounded in hard work. The compete level of this team is getting higher and higher, particularly in the second half of the season. Somehow we got to find a way to get a hard-fought win.”

The Hawks will travel to Kingston Saturday night when the Gaels host game two. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m.