Laurier shifts spring, intersession and summer courses online due to COVID-19 crisis

In a news release shared today, Wilfrid Laurier University has announced their decision to continue online learning for the spring, intersession and summer (“sprummer”) terms.

When Laurier originally decided to shift all in-person classes in the remaining academic semester online on March 13, the proposed plan stated that face-to-face instruction would return to normal by May 1.

However, with heightened self-isolating procedures surrounding the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic in Ontario and across the world, it appears that plans will proceed to shift in order to adapt to the ongoing closures and challenges met with increased social distancing measures.

The Senate Executive and Finance Committee made the choice to move forward with online classes for the sprummer term under the authority of the Academic Disruption Policy (2.5) over the weekend.

The adjusted academic dates for this period have been designed to align with the University of Waterloo’s timeline, as this term’s registration includes a high number of Laurier-UW double-degree students.

This means that the term will begin on May 11 instead of May 4, to give an extra week to dedicate to planning and adapting to these changes.

Maureen Mancuso, interim provost and vice president: academic, states in the update that, “I recognize that modifying the remainder to adapt to the current situation is a significant effort, but I am confident that our whole community will continue to demonstrate the resilience and flexibility that this extraordinary situation demands of all of us.”

Laurier is currently working and consulting with multiple faculties including Teaching and Learning, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and Enrolment Services, to ensure that academics continue as effectively as possible.

The potential service and fee implications of these changes will be addressed, and Laurier students will be notified when more information can be provided.

Any immediate questions or concerns should be sent to coronavirusquestions@wlu.ca.