Laurier mourns death of football equipment manager

On March 30, long-time equipment manager Chuck Classen passed away at the age of 66 after four decades of dedicated service to Laurier’s football team. Classen passed away in hospital, following a broken neck injury he had sustained earlier in the week.

“Not only did we lose a great equipment manager, but this is a huge loss as a friend,” said head coach and manager of football operations Gary Jeffries who also attended university with Classen.

Classen started out volunteering at Laurier as a student manager with the men’s basketball team in 1970. Following his graduation in 1971, Classen moved into the equipment manger position with the Hawks’ football team. He also taught at several schools locally, but remained with the football club following his retirement.

Throughout his career at Laurier, Classen’s hard work, dedication and attention to detail have been unmatched.

“He did all the blue collar jobs no else wanted to do and he did them gladly,” said Jeffries.

The Team Manager of the Year award will now be named in memory of Classen, and a Chuck Classen Memorial Football Equipment Fund has been set up in his honour.

“He loved his association with the Laurier Football family,” said Jeffries. “He will definitely be missed.”

Memorial celebrations for family and friends will be held on Sunday April 11 at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Kitchener from 2 – 4 p.m.