Laurier in brief: Feb. 12

(File graphic)
(File graphic)

Brantford YMCA construction update
Construction will begin in Brantford on a new athletics and recreation facility this summer. The Laurier Brantford YMCA Athletic and Recreation Centre—supported by a $3.6 million contribution from Laurier Brantford undergraduate students and $40 million from various levels of government—will serve students, in addition to the surrounding Brantford, Brant County and Six Nations communities.

The total cost of the facility, which is a partnership between Laurier Brantford and the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford, will be $58.4 million.
The athletics and recreation facility will include two pools, multi-purpose areas for classes, a gymnasium with retractable seating and a health and wellness centre, including fitness equipment. It will be built on the south side of Colborne Street.

Laurier prof to do reading in Toronto
On Feb. 12 a Wilfrid Laurier University professor will be taking part in an event at the Toronto Reference Library for CBC’s Canada reads competition. The event will run 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.

Morgan Holmes, who is an associate professor of sociology, will be reading a passage from the book Annabel, by Kathleen Winter, and then discussing it in an interview with CBC Radio One’s Gill Deacon.
Holmes will join five others doing a live reading and interview, including Toronto mayor David Miller, jazz musician Juliet Dunn, Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services senior researcher Yogendra Shakya and Cherie Dimaline, the University of Toronto’s First Nations writer in residence.

—Compiled by Lindsay Purchase