Laurier defeats Waterloo on Homecoming weekend

Photo by Marco Pedri
Photo by Marco Pedri

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks are 4-0 as of this Homecoming weekend. The Golden Hawks played an all around strong game that was too much to handle for the Waterloo Warriors, defeating them 68-7 at home in front of over 7,000 fans for Laurier Homecoming.

The Golden Hawks picked up 53 of their 68 points in the first half and seemed to be clicking offensively. Eric Guiltinan and Michael Knevel lead the charge as Guiltinan picked up 176 rushing yards and scored four touchdowns on the day. Knevel threw for two touchdowns and picked up 199 passing yards.

“He played really well. [Knevel] didn’t really show any nerves he stepped up and played great,” Guiltinan said.

“The O-line played well. The full-backs played well. The gaps were there I was just hitting them.”

“I felt pretty confident,” Knevel said. “I got to play in the Carleton game and I think shook a lot of the jitters out of the way.”

Head coach, Michael Faulds was very happy with the day’s outcome. “We played really well and clean football the first half,” he said. “I’m proud of our team effort.”

Laurier star, Kwaku Boateng also had an impressive day getting a sack that resulted in a safety.=

Boateng and the rest of the Golden Hawks are already focused on their next game against the Western Mustangs this Saturday in London.

“Mentally and physically we just can’t seem to dominate them for some reason,” Boateng said about the upcoming game. “We’ve got some work to do but right now I think we’ve got the chemistry and the players to change our recent history, there.”