Laurier beats York 74-3 in second game of the season

Photo by Marco Pedri
Photo by Marco Pedri

The Golden Hawks football team had themselves a field day versus the York Lions on this past long weekend game. The game featured a score of 74-3 in favour of the Golden Hawks, as well as over 500 rushing yards for the home side.

The game was the most points put up for Laurier since head coach, Michael Faulds took the helm for the 2013 season.

“To finally play all three phases that well, you look how many running backs got touches…you look at our defence with another defensive touchdown from Malcom Thompson and then on special teams getting a Carson Ouellette touchdown,” said Faulds.

“When all three phases are rolling, that’s a complete team.”

The Golden Hawks offensive line was stout, paving the way for 180 rushing yards for fifth-year running back, Eric Guiltinan. As well as huge contributions from running backs Osayi Iginuan, Elijah Fera and Tre Nicholson.

The group of backs have different styles but all have the ability to lower their pad level and drive the pile.

Guiltinan was the leading rusher with over a 180-yards and two touchdowns. All the success he had running the football, he attributes to his team and the offensive line.

“The O-line played great, all [running backs] played great, obviously…They really opened up some good holes,” he said.

Fellow running back, Levondre Gordon, said, “Our o-line blocks were on point, our receiver blocks were on point. Everything was just clicking.”

However, the biggest play of the game was a 70-yard pick six from defensive half back, Malcom Thompson.

The defence has put up back-to-back touchdowns, making a name for themselves as a force on the field.

The Golden Hawks will take the next week to rest before heading to Ottawa to play the Carleton Ravens on September 17.