Laurier announces financial support for students affected by COVID-19

Wilfrid Laurier University announced in a news release on April 14 that financial support will be available for students who are facing difficulties as a result of COVID-19 (coronavirus).

“We have put a number of options in place to help you mitigate these unexpected issues, ranging from emergency funding and financial relief for spring, intersession or summer non-tuition fees to financial aid appointments,” the statement said.

Short-term financial assistance is available through an emergency fund application form that is available for students who are struggling to pay March and April essential living expenses.

These expenses include food, rent, moving costs and other critical needs that can be considered under the fund’s stipulations. Existing debt obligations such as outstanding tuition fees are not eligible to be covered by the relief fund.

Applicants can be eligible to receive a maximum amount of $500, and funding will be drawn from university supports that include the Laurier COVID-19 Emergency Fund.

According to the release, “Available Phase 1 funding will apply to eligible March and April expenses; Phase 2 will extend into the summer months as additional funds become available.”

Laurier has initiated a fundraising campaign to supplement available funding and recently received
a $50,000 donation from the Wilfrid Laurier University Alumni Association.

One-time bursaries, as well as a work-study bursary for students who had their employment cut short, will also be available.

Students are encouraged to read about the resources that the Government of Canada and Province of Ontario have made available for those in need during these financially difficult and uncertain times.

Incidental fees will be reduced for spring, intersession and summer terms, with invoices reflecting these changes available in LORIS by April 15. The due date for spring tuition and fees has been extended to June 9.

Financial coaching appointments will also be available for students through Laurier’s financial literacy program, Dollars and Sense.