KW in brief: Sept. 15, 2010

Election nominations closed
Nominations for mayor and councillors for the Waterloo region closed on Sept. 10. The following are the candidates for Ward 6 and 7.

Ward 6

• Anne R. Crowe

• Mike Connolly

• Jeff Henry

• Ed Korschewitz

Ward 7
– Erin Epp

• Edwin Laryea

• Duncan McLean

• Peter Wollstencroft

• Melissa Durrell

• Noel V. Butler

High schools raise money for Pakistan flood victims

Students at numerous secondary schools across the Waterloo region are raising money for victims of Pakistan’s floods through bake sales, face-painting events and sending letters home.

Some of the region’s schools educate those who have personal ties to the disaster in Pakistan.

Schools participating include Forest Hill Public School in Kitchener. The Catholic school board has also sent letters home to parents asking for donations.

Council refuses to comment on gun registry debate

After citing the matter as one at the federal level, Waterloo council has refused to take a position on the debate surrounding the long-gun registry.

According to the Waterloo Region Record, many residents in the area urged the city council to vote. Former Liberal member of parliament (MP) Andrew Telegdi spoke in favour of the gun registry on Sept. 13. He called it “a valuable tool for front-line police officers in the performance of their duties.”

Kitchener site to house new skate park

Fischer Park, Gzowski Park, Southwest Optimist Sports Fields and Wilson Park are all locations that have been shortlisted as proposed locations for two new skate parks.

According to the Waterloo Region Record the completion of the two sites, anticipated to be in 2015 and 2017, will bring the total number of skate parks in the city to four – the number recommended in the city’s Leisure Facilities Master Plan.

–All compiled by Alanna Wallace