KW in brief: Feb. 24, 2010

Bus driver attacked
On Feb. 22, a Grand River Transit bus driver was punched in the head by an exiting male passenger at King Street North and Bridgeport Road. The suspect, described to be in his early 20s, allegedly stole a book of GRT transfer passes during the altercation.

The bus driver received only minor injuries.

Stabbing at nightclub
Early in the morning on Feb. 22, a man was stabbed during a fight in Elements Night Club in Kitchener. The fight began just after 2 a.m. on the dance floor between two male patrons.

After they were separated and the suspect was escorted out of the club, it was discovered that the 26-year-old victim was stabbed. Police are looking for the suspect and waiting on images from the security videos in an attempt to identify him.

Emergency food distribution increases
The House of Friendship, located in Kitchener, distributed a record number of emergency food hampers this month.

On Feb. 16, a total of 278 hampers were distributed. In 2009, distribution was up nearly 17 per cent from the previous year.

Food hampers are made by the organization from both food and monetary donations from community members and local organizations.

Mugging suspect arrested
On Feb. 19, a 21-year-old man walking alone on King Street in Kitchener was approached by another man a with knife. He was not injured and called the police himself.

The 33-year-old suspect was later arrested and charged with robbery, uttering threats and four counts of mischief.

Aircraft flies low across KW
On Feb. 18, a Hercules military aircraft flew low over the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo.

The aircraft had been sent to an unidentified area in Waterloo by the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Trenton after it received a signal from an emergency locator transmitter. It was, however, a false alarm.

Merger question passes
Waterloo’s city council passed a motion to pose a referendum question regarding the city’s merge with Kitchener at the Feb. 22nd meeting.
The question posed by mayor Brenda Halloran is worded: “Do you support the members of Kitchener and Waterloo councils engaging in discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of merging in the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo?”
–All compiled by Linda Givetash