Knox up for another award

2009-10 has definitely been a season to remember for Laurier goal tender Liz Knox.

The fourth-year has already been named the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) player of the year for women’s hockey, as well as a first-team all-star on both the provincial and national levels. On top of that, Knox has dominated athletic awards amongst her fellow Golden Hawks, first being named the 2010 Outstanding Woman of Laurier in late March, then taking home both the President’s Award as female athlete of the year and the Luke Fusco award for combining academic and athletic achievement at Laurier’s athletic banquet on April 5.

And now, Knox has a chance to add yet another accolade to her impressive resume, as she has been named one of four female finalists for the 18th annual Borden Ladner Gervais (BLG) Award.

The BLG awards were started by the national business law firm, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, in 1993 and are meant to honour the top overall athletes from all CIS athletic programs. The awards are presented to one female and one male student athlete, and on top of being named the top athlete in the CIS, the recipients of the awards also receive a $10,000 dollar post-secondary scholarship.

Each conference – Atlantic University Sport (AUS), the Quebec Student Sports Federation (QSSF), the Canada West Universities Athletic Association (CWUAA) and the OUA – send just one female and one male nominee. Joining Knox as the female candidates for the award are Cape Breton University basketball player Kelsey Hodgson (AUS), University of Montreal soccer player Veronique Maranda (QSSF) and University of British Columbia volleyball player Liz Cordonier (CWUAA).

On the men’s side, Western quarterback Michael Faulds will represent the OUA, with fellow football player, University of Calgary quarterback Erik Glavic coming out of the CWUAA. A pair of hockey players round out the nominations as the University of New Brunswick’s Hunter Tremblay will represent the AUS, with McGill’s Francis Verreault-Paul earning the QSSF spot.

The awards will be presented on Monday, April 26 in Calgary, with the ceremony being broadcast on TSN on Sunday, May 16 at 11 a.m.