It’s kind of a mediocre movie

It’s Kind of a Funny Story

Directed by: Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck

Starring: Keir Glichrist, Emma Roberts, Zach Galifianakis

Release Date: October 8

Based on the 2006 novel written by Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story tells the story of 16-year-old Craig (Keir Gilchrist) who checks himself into a psychiatric hospital after a bout with depression and suicidal thoughts.

He is immediately overwhelmed but is befriended by Bobby (Zach Galifianakis) and develops an infatuation with Noelle (Emma Roberts), a 16-year-old patient also suffering from depression.

Despite some impressive names in the film, It’s Kind of a Funny Story seems to fall slightly short of the ranks of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

Keir Gilchrist displays some talent as a young actor but lacks the ability to carry the film and turns Craig into a second-rate McLovin.

Emma Roberts plays a rather clichéd young female who predictably falls in love with the main character, is accidentally tossed aside and is then reunited with her love interest.

Possibly the biggest letdown is Fleck and Boden’s directing, which seems to have lost the creative flair that was apparent in 2006’s Half-Nelson and 2008’s Sugar.

Craig’s narration provides some well-placed dry humour at times, but almost seems to spoon-feed the narrative rather than letting the audience piece together the story.

Redeeming most of the film’s shortcomings, is a rather excellent supporting role by Zach Galifianakis, displaying some impressive dramatic chops alongside his signature deadpan wit.

Though the film is entertaining and provides an interesting look at the stress most young adults go through as they finish high school and prepare for post-secondary education, the film comes off as slightly contrived, considering the potential of the actors and directors involved.

It’s Kind of a Funny Story is a good, but unfortunately not great, addition to the repertoire of psych ward dramatic comedies.