Important publication updates

Dear valued readers,

Whether you are a current or past student, a member of Laurier’s staff or faculty, an individual in the community, a former Cordie or simply a person who picks up this paper and reads our articles each week, I want to extend my immeasurable gratitude to you for supporting student media.

In a frightening time that generates heightened levels of uncertainty and misinformation, The Cord will remain dedicated to producing content that best reflects the evolving needs of both our readership and staff.

We are committed to relaying news and updates surrounding the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak, specifically its impact on the Wilfrid Laurier community and Waterloo region.

With this in mind, we believe it’s in the best interest of our audience to remain as transparent as possible in regard to our publishing process amidst this global crisis.

Moving forward, we have drastically altered the ways in which we aim to produce the remaining issues that were planned for the rest of the semester.

As of now, all of our articles will be published online.

Although we place immense value on our weekly printed issues, it is senseless to disregard the continuing changes that are being made on campus and throughout the city.

We want to ensure that our production and distribution methods have the best interests of our readers and volunteers in mind, and highly encourage every person who reads The Cord to continue to do so on thecord.ca.

Our campus operations have been modified considerably, and current staff will continue to produce their work out-of-office for the remainder of the term.

Stories will still be written, edited and delivered regularly in the most effective and mindful ways during this transitionary period for the remainder of March and the beginning of April.

We invite anyone who has a News Tip, Coronavirus Concern or an opinion they wish to share in the form of a Letter to the Editor, to do so through the submit tab on our website or to send it directly to editor@thecord.ca.

Now more than ever, we stand behind our organization’s (Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications) message: “Your Voice. Your Media.”

The team behind The Cord is working to provide the most accurate, up-to-date and thoughtful content that properly serves the surrounding community and continues to demonstrate journalistic ethics and practices.

We stand in solidarity with the countless people that this pandemic continues to affect, and will adapt our practices in ways that appropriately suit these ongoing challenges.

Thank you again for reading a newspaper that means so much to us.

Stay safe, Golden Hawks.

— Emily Waitson, Editor-in-Chief