How to shoot your shot this virtual Valentine’s day

Photo by Darien Funk

Whether you’re a romantic or lone wolf, Valentine’s Day is never an easy holiday. When you’re single, you may feel unloved and loneliness is emphasized by couples posting their V-Day celebrations on social media. When you’re in a relationship, there’s pressure to conform to the holiday traditions and do something special for your significant other. 

For those who are unaffected by the holiday, I envy your ability to rise above these ridiculous social customs. 

However, the majority of us will need something to do this Valentine’s Day since we will all be sitting at home, with or without a significant other. Don’t let this virtual Valentine’s Day drive you away from love, get creative, be bold, and open your heart!

For all you singles asking whether it’s okay to slide into the DM’s, what do you have to lose? This is not to say that you should be harassing people with horrible pick-up lines (please do not use pick-up lines whatsoever), but it can be flattering when someone gives you an appropriate compliment. 

While many singles will resort to dating apps like Tinder and Bumble, I advise you to look through your current social circles. Perhaps there’s a long-lost crush you haven’t spoken to in a while. 

We all know dating apps are used for hooking up, yet some of us still think we can, to quote Rihanna, “[find] love in a hopeless place.” With the stay-at-home order, it’s best you delete the dating apps you have and stay away from them this year. 

Some students have been asking if it’s okay to slide into another student’s MyLearningSpace emails after discovering how cute they are with their camera on in Zoom classes. If you decide to do this, maybe leave the flirting for later and ask to connect on another platform. 

While it’s okay to have a friendly chat with someone in a relationship, you never want to overstep the friend line in that situation. Trying to navigate virtual Valentine’s Day as a single requires you to be a social media sleuth.

Connect with someone on various platforms and check for any signs of a significant other. If you see none, don’t assume the person is single and flirt right away-simply ask if they are single during your conversations of getting to know each other. 

If you’re both single, make your move-be kind, respectful, and make sure there’s consent. If you get rejected for whatever reason, it’s okay to move on, but don’t be a tramp about it. 

If you’ve managed to get this far, or already have a significant other, the next step is to plan a virtual date beyond texting. While virtual dating is not the same as in-person dating, making the effort to do something together is what matters.

Get fancy while video chatting by dressing up, lighting candles, and “sharing” a meal together. Challenge each other to an online multiplayer game like Chess, Words with Friends, Draw Something, etc. If you’re getting to know each other, play 21 questions over a video chat or share your favourite Tik Toks to get the ball rolling. 

But if you’re feeling a little extra hot and bothered this Valentine’s Day, there is no shame in scheduling a date to Netflix & Chill. Pretend like you’re together by putting on a movie, only to watch 10 minutes then turn to masturbation or app-controlled sex toys for some satisfaction.

If the internet is endless, then the possibilities are endless. Put some effort into making this virtual Valentine’s Day a bit more romantic for you and your partner — it won’t be a night you’ll forget!