Hockey Hawks upset first-place Mustangs

Two third period goals from Benjamin Skinner, and 31 saves by Ryan Daniels proved enough for the Golden Hawks Men’s Hockey Team to upset the powerful Western Mustangs 2-1 in London on Saturday night.

The two markers from the rookie Skinner (his fourth and fifth of the season) came at the 1:59 and 17:56 marks of the third period against former Kitchener Rangers Memorial Cup goaltender and Chicago Blackhawks prospect Josh Unice. Fellow rookie forwards Kain Allicock and Alexander Poulter, and veteran defensemen Ryan Bernardi and Mike Gauthier all drew single assists on the evening as the Golden Hawks handed Western their first regulation time defeat of the season.

Daniels, who has admitted disappointment in not being named by Western Head Coach Clarke Singer to the Canadian National University Team to compete at the end of January and beginning of February in Turkey, put on a stunning display in front of his snubber. His .928 save percentage is tops in all of the OUA, and second in the country only to Calgary’s Dustin Butler (who has played half as many games as Daniels. The Pickering-native and Ottawa Senators fifth round pick in 2006 also leads the country in minutes (1,161), saves (631), and starts (18).

The win puts Laurier one point behind Lakehead for second place in the OUA Western Conference with nine games remaining in the regular season.